Do you believe there's such a thing as a soulmate?

Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Height Issue

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm five feet, eight inches tall.  To be honest, I had no idea I was short (by modern standards) until I reached college.  Before then, I was in my own "height bubble;" people who were taller than me were just that-- taller.

"Tall" almost always falls at the top a woman's list of attributes, physical or otherwise, required of a man for dating, courting and the rest.  Sometimes it's specific: 6'2", for example.  Other times it's something like, "He needs to be taller than me when I have high heels on."

When I discuss trimming "the list" with women who need to get a grip and get real about their love lives, the height issue becomes a sticking point.  I've even heard a woman say (paraphrasing): "If you get with a short guy you'll probably end up giving birth to boys who'll grow up and be short men with a short man's complex."

And that's a bad thing?  Alexander the Great was my height (considered average in ancient Greece).  Napoleon was 5'6" or 5'7" depending on what shoes he had on (like Stallone in the '80s).  Tom Cruise, larger-than-life actor that he is, has been using up-titled angles and tight shots for years to imply a man taller than 5'4".  The "short man's complex" is most apparent in the rap industry, where bite-size MCs like T.I., Lil Wayne and Ludacris hold court.  There have even been studies conducted on the correlation between height (or lack thereof) and some of the great transformers of human history.

I'm not making a case here for why you should knock five inches off your minimum; I just wanted to make it clear that height need not determine one's potential in the abstract.  The real lesson I want to impart with regard to Mr. Right and whether he's as tall as Tom Brady is that height, while believed to convey power and good genes on an evolutionary level, says nothing about the quality of the man.  It may not be an aesthetic match made in Heaven in our society to see a tall woman with a short man, but here's something to consider:

A man can't control how tall he's going to be, but he can control how well he treats you.

No comments:

Post a Comment